Wednesday, October 19, 2005

the bee whisperer

(a tip of the hat to AH)

It's not an easy task to get the bees to do my bidding these days, because the weather is fine and there's tons of good food hanging about, just waiting for the taking. No self respecting bee is going to prefer the dry and rather insipid sugar water solution that I use in my experiments when all the flowers, with their cunning born of millions of years of evolution, are calling the bees to come to them. Sure the sugar water is easy, and it's so handy, just outside the hive, but ask a bee and they'll go for the flowers any day. Meanwhile, one cannot wait till the weather goes bad, I have to try all sorts of weird hijinks. For example, when the stingless bees were disoriented in their new location, I put a few drops of the essential oil of frangipani to attract them and get them accustomed to their new home. I even have tried to add pure honey to the feeder just to make it easier for the bees to get there. The bees are not in a mood to be placated by these sops. It's going to take more than a few bribes for them to do what is needed. I will have to call in the Bee Whisperer.

UPDATE: I GOT STUNG TODAY!!! I HATE BEES!